Friday, May 25, 2012

Shopping Hiatus

After spending more time budgeting the past few weeks than I care to admit (we hired someone and that just mean we make less money until we get that person paying for themselves and making money for us which normally takes a good long while) but I always find it better in life when I rain in my speeding than I do when I let it lose. How is this possible? - I don't know. But there is so much more useful stuff around when I can't spend money then when I can. Translation- less is more. There are such good lessons to be learned when life is on nonnegotiable budget (I sure wish our government was on one of these).

A few years ago I read a book, "The Total Money Make Over." My sister-in-law was on a kick about it and so I gave it a try. It's pretty good, in fact it pretty much changed the way I ran my company finance and our personal finances. It probably saved me thousands of dollars by just changing the way I did a few simple things, I don't put things on credit cards I can't pay off so I wasn't paying interest, I just restructured the way I paid things and when exactly they had to be paid. Just by gaining a relationship with cash makes you not want to spend it. So I got right down and started courting my cash. Read it, it's good. It will for sure save you the money you spend to buy it, probably thousand's of times over. Or better yet get it from your library.

Anyway, back to my budgeting talk. Needless to say I find when I am on a budget I really don't "need" anything. We need food, but really nothing else. ;) So in light of my new found insight into "things" I 'm going on a shopping hiatus for myself. From now, May 25th until September 25th. What this means . . .

No buying . . .

Cloths
Shoes
Jewelry
Hair things

Difficult, maybe, imposable for sure not. So wish me luck, here I go. I wrote it down so I could be held accountable. Feel free to write on my wall and ask me how I am doing (Actually please do)!

1 comment:

Cherilyn said...

You can totally make it to your goal! Borrow things if needed or if something is totally necessary then budget for it. Shoes can always be iffy but if you all have enough and no one grows then you'll be great. Dave Ramsey has another great book called Entreleadership that you and Steve might be interested in. Jim is going to read it even though he doesn't own his own business he is a leader and it is all about leading and growing and running a business. Glad you are updating your blog!