I have a lot of memories from my childhood and since I don't write them down that often here is one that pulled some hart strings the other day.
Mar-Mar came home and said that she needed to build a 3-D image of the animal she had chosen to do a report on. I rolled my eyes and thought, "How have I moved into "projects" at home." But I read the paper and it said it could be as simple as cutting out the image, staple and stuff. So I didn't worry too much about it since it wasn't due for a month.
A few days latter I was in Grand Junction (100 miles from my house, so you can see I live in the middle of nowhere I have to drive quite a distance to any type of craft, fabric, or hobby store, it's depressing sometimes, but I've gotten over it in the 9 years I have live here) any who, I happened upon the pottery section in Micheal's Craft. There on one of the shelf was a set of clay tools. Which choked me up a little.
When I was in pre-school I remember my dad taking me to Orange Community College to buy clay. A big old red block of clay. I remember that day so well. He told me he was going to come grab me from pre-school. This was a treat, my dad worked nights as an LAPD office so I didn't see him much during the day. I remember always having to be quite and not being aloud to play ball against the garage because it would wake him.
I waited at pre-school for him. I had pre-school at a woman's house in the neighborhood and our classroom faced the street. I remember hearing my father's VW blue bug coming down the street and jumping up to go get my back pack. I remember walking into the college art store and them bringing out the clay and looking at all the clay tools they had. I also remember well playing with it on our bar at home. But I also remember one fleeting moment of looking at that unmolde clay at home and thinking to myself the best part is over. . . buying it with my father.
After that thought, I declared to Marin we were going to make her 3-D image out of clay and paint it after it was dried! We got all gung-ho about it yesterday. Two hours later and this is our sculpture! She did the legs and body and I worked on the head. Now, before you pick it apart, we printed off pictures of Asian Elephants to be anatomy correct and all before we started modeling and tried to make it true to form. Okay now you can look!
No comments:
Post a Comment