I know I have mentioned that we have chickens and that Steven was building a chicken coup. And I know I have told you that my husband, especially when it comes to building anything (I guess even chicken coups) likes to take things to the next level. Well not even the next level he is a little OCD about anything he builds. He spends days if not hours making sure things are level, straight, tight, even, deep enough, and strong enough to pass inspection on "Golden Gate Bridge". Steven had literally turned down jobs because he thought the builder was shotty, he didn't think the design of the pool was correct, the engineer didn't engineer it correct (I thought that was why the ENGINEER IS THE ENGINEER????) and a few other reasons why he felt a project would not meet his standards as a builder. When we built our barn, I should have known I was in for a real treat with the worry about the trusses, the metal, the poles, the whole for the poles, I am not even joking, he worried about it all! When it was finally finished the man who owns the store we bought the material from, oh ya did I mention they are in our ward and our really good friends father??, kept telling people, "That kid engineered the hello out of that thing." I didn't know whether to duct my head or keep it high knowing we have a tornado shelter if one ever happens here in the rocky mountains.
Back to my point. So I came home from running on Saturday night to find the finished product of a couple weeks worth of work . . . .
I walked up to the coup as he was finishing up and he asked what I thought. I just looked at him and he asked what? I told him, "You can't just build something, you have to build SOME THING." "You don't like it?" he said. "Sure, but do we really need a chicken mansion?" I think the chickens now have more square footage per chicken than our home has per person.
The yard entrain.
And don't get me wrong, love the chickens, love the eggs!! They are fun. If you know any chickens looking for an all inclusive get away well you now know to send them our way!!
7 comments:
Since Shane is an architect, he drew up plans for ours. We only want THREE chickens and you should have seen the design! It was crazy. I wanted something small and something simple. We fought and fought about the stupid coup for weeks. I won. It will be simple. . . in the design. But it is taking forever to build for the same reason as your husband. It has to be just so. It is for chickens for cryin' out loud! But, it is a good quality to have.
I love your coup. One day when we live in the country I want more chickens.
This was a hilarious read! So funny. I spell coup the same as you but I went to someone's house that had a vinyl on their wall that says 'Welcome to the coop'. It made me crazy! I want to have chickens! Ugh! Stupid city living. When we lived in Rifle, we tried chickens. Um, yah. Josh accidentally got them too hot and cooked them. I'd love to come out there and see them!
...laughing out loud. too funny.
All I can say is well, this doesn't surprise me!
I love chickens running around in people's yards! It's so quaint. I keep telling my dad to get some but I doubt he will.
I grew up with chickens in my back yard. I'm sure the neighbors loved us! Jim is the opposite of steve so count your blessings! I usually hire everything out or just do without. Tell Steve that the Chicken Mansion is awsome!
Seriouly, I miss you! You word everything more fun! I think it is awsome that you have a chicken coup.
Post a Comment