Since we have had two grandpa's die recently, this has sparked a number of conversations about death and unexpected bursts of crying in our home. For example while driving home the other day from grocery shopping:
Sam: Mom, why do you eat? So you can get as big as daddy?
Me: No, mommy is done growing. I eat because you need to eat so you don't die. (Yes, I know I could have said something better, but I didn't this is what I said.)
Sam: If you don't eat you die!?
Me: Yes it is called starvation, it doesn't happen around here where we live, but in some places far away mommies and daddies don't have any money to buy food, or there isn't any food around to buy.
Marin chimes in: I think they need to pray to Heavenly Father and ask for food.
Me: Well, that is a good idea, but sometimes there just isn't food around. (Trying to integrate another gospel principle I say . . .) That's why we store food, because sometimes bad things happen and you can't get food.
Sam: And you die of starvy!??
Me: Yes. But don't worry. Mommy stores food.
Marin: What happens if we starvation? Who will take care of us in heaven?
Me: Oh everyone who has died before us. That's why we get married in the temple, so we can all be together when we die. It's not scary, don't worry about it.
Marin: What if I die before you? Who would take care of me!?!? (Tears start to well.)
Me: Marin there are many people who love you, my grandma would take care of you. But don't worry about it, mommy will die long before you and then I will take care of you.
Sam is now crying and says: I don't want to die!!!
Marin is now crying and says: Who is taking care of the grandpas? Where are their mommies!
At this point I realize that this is a horrible conversation and I change the subject to the donuts we just bought.
Wonderful Wheat Night
15 years ago
8 comments:
I am sorry but that is hysterical! I love conversations about stuff like that. Kids say the best things!!!
I can so imagine this conversationw with your girls that I am crying and laughing at the same time.
I agree with Stacy: that is funny but also sad. It's too bad that kids don't quite understand things the way grown-ups do. It's sounds like you did a great job explaining!
We have realized that this is a hard subject to talk about with Jarret's dad just passing and all. It's hard to imagine what kids think and be in their shoes for a moment. Sounds like you handled it well though.
you are such a cute mom!
That is too cute.
Ok, I shouldn't laugh, but it is pretty funny. Kids take everything so literally-sometimes it is very hard to explain principles like that to them. I think you did a good job trying to explain. And dougnuts are always a good distraction! :)
Its been awhile since I have checked your blog-I just got all caught up. Glad to hear you found your neclace, and the Disneyland pictures are adorable! So fun!
Oh I can so picture that to the tone of your voice. That is hysterical, but so sad at the same time. I am sure you handled it beautifully!
Post a Comment