(When I look at this picture it brings back a few of the feelings I had that day. How dumbfounded I was, thinking that not all babies are this beautiful and wanting Steven to take her from me.)
She was the perfect baby for me at the time and I realize this now. She was so easy going and slept a lot. She loved Baby Einstein and would eat anything I put in front of her. She was a pretty good baby in the car as I drove the countless times between Utah and Colorado while moving out here. She was so good and easy to take places by myself. I even went back to school when she was 9 months old and left her with my father and Steven’s mother while I was at school or doing homework. I remember taking her to school once to grab a paper and as I was walking through BYU square reading my paper I turned around and there was my baby 10 feet behind me running after me. I think those same feelings encompassed me again that day she was born and felt like I couldn’t believe this person was mine.
Today when I think about Marin I think she is very much like me when I was little. I liked to climb trees and ride horses. I would battle my mother over my hair and wear mismatched cloths, I hated to take a bath and was a sensitive little thing. One thing Marin has over me is her ability to be the kindest and most loving daughter a mother could want. She has become a diligent little school girl this year and has done remarkably well in reading this year despite where she started. I love my Marin who had no idea she was in a class with children that didn’t even speak English (needless to say I was not happy about this). She is so sweet and completely oblivious to the fact that she has to work a little harder, takes her a little longer to do some of her work. She just works hard and gets it done no matter what. I think this quality will serve her well throughout her life and I am very happy to call her my daughter.
Thinking about the day she was born and difference between then and now and seeing others with their first, I think some women are great mothers because that is just who they are, others a great mothers because that is who they have become. I think I am the latter.
6 comments:
You've inspired me to do a better entry for Bryce and his b-day. I loved your post. Beautiful! You are so gifted with expressing your feelings in print. What a blessing to be able to do that. Wow!
Happy BIrthday Marin! I loved having you stay with us a few weeks ago. You were so fun to have around and I love you! Aunt Leslie
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARI-BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE you sooo much...... I can't wait until the next time that you come to visit us in California. You are a great cousin!!!! Alexa
Oh, the joys of the first baby. She sounds like a great girl. :) Your cruise looked like fun too. My husband and I are going on our first one in June. Can't wait!
You seem like you are such a great mother! I'm sure Marin has learned and will keep learning those wonderful qualities from you.
I also loved the post of your kids asking you questions. My boy asks me quite often about how they get babies out of you. He tells me, "You go to the hospital, and they cut the baby out, huh, mom?" My answer to that, even though that doesn't happen for me is, "Yes, that is how they get some babies out." I'm not sure I'm ready for that talk yet. :)
Love that picture of you holding Marin in the hospital. Very precious.
Post a Comment