Oh, was it Christmas; really? I never knew it; it never felt like it. I was never relaxed and sat by the fire and drank hot coco. I never leisurely shopped and enjoyed the spirit of the holidays. I didn't enjoy any parties, sorry, but I just didn't. I didn't feel like I went out of my way to be extra kind to anyone and other then buy gifts for EVERYONE that I didn't feel like I put any extra thought behind any of them. Oh, wait except the one I returned Christmas Eve, because Steven and I didn't want to put it together and haul it back to Colorado. I didn't bake, wrap, or decorate the tree without keeping close watch of a near by clock. I had a conference call on the morning of all of my children's' class parties, because the school decided to have Christmas brunch instead of an end of the day program and I decided to schedule my conference calls on Fridays at 9:30 for the entire month of December, which SUCKED! There was just nothing Merry about it. I don't think I have had a more stressful Christmas in my life and I am sorry to say I am so happy it is over! I don't want to be a Scrooge, I really don't, I love Christmas, but if i was to give a title to this year it would really be called, "Ashlee Goes Insane," not "Ashlee has a Merry Christmas." I don't even want to go over the endless hours I spent in my kitchen, at the stores, driving in my car, nor worry about what I got for who! Not to mention the 40 sticks of butter, 35 lbs. of sugar, 5 lbs. of almonds, 50 lbs. of chocolate, 50 lbs. of flour, and every other ingredient that made its' way through my kitchen and out my door only to clean up. Right now I am sitting in my parents living room 500 miles away from my home in a room filled with toys from Christmas Day that on Thursday I have to pack up and haul back to Colorado and then unpack and put away. I am just tried of it and I am not even sure what "it" is. Was is the baking that did me in? Was it the parties that put me over the edge? Was is it building a pool in the middle of winter that stressed me out? One thing is for sure none of them helped put me in the Christmas mood. So in light of this I am making some resolutions that I plan on keeping next year . . .
1. My children will get four presents each. That is it, no one cares about more then four away!
2. I am making three batches of sugar cookie dough in Oct. and I am going to freeze it, once they are gone, I am vowing not to make anymore!
3. We are staying home for Christmas, we can go out to Utah on the 26th I don't care, but presents are staying in my home and I want to wake up in my house on Christmas morning.
4. I am not Christmas shopping until Thanksgiving is over!
5. I will make all of my toffee in Nov.
6. I am not putting up five Christmas trees, those alone brought me to the brink! All I did was pick the ornaments off the floor anyway!
7. I don't ever want to build a pool on such a tight deadline during the holidays again, ever. I guess I don't know if I can keep this one, as we have to take work when we can, but I really don't want to! And that has to count for something!
8. I am doing a picture for my card, no cuties writing, just a picture and it has to be done by Nov. 1st
9.We are going to eat prime rib at least twice before Christmas, just because we all like it. No other reason.
And 10. I am not going to host a party at my house. Not because they are not fun, but I can't seem to make them very fun for me, I just stress about them.
Well, I think that is it. I hope next year will be better and far less crazy! I really just want to enjoy the holidays. Really, I do!!
Wonderful Wheat Night
15 years ago
7 comments:
That was me last year. I didn't even put up our tree. Christmas came and went and I couldn't have cared less. I'm not sure what was wrong with me last year. I think sometimes we just get worn out by the craziness that Christmas has turned into. I hope you have a very Happy New Year, and a less stressful Christmas next year! <3
We got to see Steve last night, you should come for a visit some time so we can meet. Good luck with the new year and hope all is well with your cute family.
good for you! I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from this....and what Christmas is really suppose to be about! good for you!
You're so funny but also right on. Here's to Christmas with purpose. Dowm with the craziness!!!
Hey you guys it is Sarah, I want to add you to our blog but I dont have your email so leave it on here or give it to me on facebook if you would like! Happy Holidays!!
Oh Ash, AMEN! I just can't get over the stark contrast of my Christmas memories of Childhood and the ones of adulthood. I tried so hard to just enjoy the real meaning of Christmas this year, by getting everything done way ahead of time. What happened... oh lets see, my kids found there presents and I had to re-buy. I bought 3 different presents for everyone because I kept finding something better. Yikes. I did have a couple of moments. Maybe next year a couple of more!
I still can't believe you had 5 trees! I had one to decorate and the kids had one to decorate and that was almost too much for me. I hope you have a more relaxing Christmas next year. Hearing all of your things makes me stressed out!
Post a Comment