Sunday, August 9, 2009

What was I thinking?

So yesterday I woke-up and approached my husband about a new fridge, something I have only been talking to him about for two years. Why a new fridge you ask? Isn't her house new? When we moved into our house someone up valley (e.g. Aspen, where all the rich people live) was renovating their kitchen and sold us all of our appliances for $600.00. It was awesome. At the time we had no one money in our construction loan and it was such a blessing. We figured even if one of the appliances was good it was worth it. Well that ONE appliance ended up being the stove. It's awesome! It's GREAT! (Mr. dishwasher clunked out around Christmas 2007 ) The problem with the fridge was it was as I liked to call it "the bachelor" fridge. 18 cubic square feet of smallness. As if this wasn't annoying it was a side by side, so fitting anything large didn't happen, and to top it all the ice maker and water have never worked. So for whatever reason yesterday was the day I made my move.







Well I found one I liked with all of the features we, Steven and I, both wanted. So I headed up to Costco to grab it. I wasn't too keen on the idea of taking all my kids to Costco to buy such a large item, but I guess that just shows you how bad I wanted it! It was easy enough to ask someone to get it for us and pull it up front. The kids were pretty good except for the mishap in the food court when Benjamin decided to lick the cups all neatly stacked on the counter, why I have no idea he just was licking away like a lolly pop. The food court woman was so mad at him. I just laughed and said, "Ben, oh don't do that." (What else was I supposed to do??? Yummy, makes ya think that maybe they should keep them somewhere different, because after thinking about it, that can't be the first time something like that has happened. (Well maybe.)) So needless to say I made it out of the store with two nice boys who did not speak English and tried to load my fridge every way, but the way it was clearly stated on the box. I stepped in and help.



Well two hours later I was at home with my new fridge in the box in Steven's truck working on the computer. Steven walked up stairs and said, "Don't you want it in today? Why haven't you been taking everything out of the old fridge?" Right, so to be perfectly honest, I guess I never even thought about cleaning our my old fridge, making way for the old one in the garage, bringing in the new fridge in the house and loading it back up with food. I don't know why I guess I am an idiot . Clearly, I can't spell AND I don't realize what is entitled when I buy a new fridge.


So after a few hours of cleaning out my OLD fridge, Sammy helped and the Marin and Ben trashed my house, but that comes later, I was already on the brink of being completely over buying a NEW fridge and the only thing I had moved was the food and wiped out the OLD fridge. Steven and I were able to move the OLD fridge into the garage with minimal swearing and minimal bruising.


Moving on to operation bringing the NEW over sized fridge in the house. I will be honest with you it wasn't pretty. We figured out we needed to take the doors off and we just kept yelling at each other about how to do that. Finally I was given the assignment of figuring it out since we were not making any progress. After 20 min. I had the freezer door off and the door handles off the top section and went down stairs to retrieve Steven. Up we both came and after another 30 min. of some light swear, me trapped in the pantry for a 5 min., two badly bruised shin, one strained back, and two bad moods later, we decided we probably should have probably paid for delivery.


After another hour of putting the food back in my NEW fridge, I realized my kitchen and house look like a bomb went off and to be perfectly honest I kinda lost it. I started yelling asking the kids to clean up and me trying to put my kitchen back together. Marin tripped over a bucket on the floor and spilled the entire thing all over my kitchen. Needless to say all of my children ran and hid from me until I was under control again which was another 20 min. and four bath towels later. Although I will commend my children on the run and hid instinct.


About 7 o'clock when everything was put back as it had been that morning, I was so glad I had it, but I would have never started that project had I known what it entailed!!!

Here is my finished product!



9 comments:

thepowerfamily said...

Ok, I am laughing sooo hard... You are the best writer. Love ya

Stacy Risenmay said...

I am in the market for a new fridge. I will for sure opt for delivery thanks to your story!!! It looks nice though...

melissa said...

hilarious story, also I looked at your june post, I wanted to see pictures of yourself, you chicken. I did and am thouroughly embarassed, oh well life goes on and it is definatly getting better. Thank goodness! Love your blog, you are a great writer. thanks for checking on ours!

Stephers said...

My mom has that style of fridge and loves it. I totally asked her to put me in her will to get that fridge. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has kids frightened of me at certain trying times!

Buck and Julie said...

I love it! Story and Fridge! You and Steve totally sound like Buck and I! Toooo funny!

Courtney Curt said...

pretty funny! I love the Fridge. Jared's mom has that exact one, and it's awesome.

Sheri Willardson said...

he he-That was seriously a GREAT story to read about, although I can just imagine how tense the emotions were at the time. The new fridge looks awesome though, and now that all the hard work is done, I bet it will be worth it. Good job! :)

I just got updated on your blog posts, and I am loving all the rafting pictures. That looks AMAZING! What a great time. And my little girl has the same swimming suit that yours does-that was the first thing I noticed about the swimming lessons pictures. Hope you are having a great summer! :)

Colette said...

Hahahaha! That sounds like sometihing that would happen to me. I'm glad you got it all in and that you like it. The only thing that would have been worse is if it hadn't fit in the space after you went to all of that work getting it in.

Emily said...

You are so funny! I love the way you tell a story. I'm glad you all survived.