Monday, July 26, 2010

Yellowstone!


The other week Steven and I decided that it would be a good week to head up to Yellowstone. We had kept thinking when things finally slowed down in July that we could take off. So on Sunday night we decided that this was the week! It took Monday to pack up the trailer and let everyone know that we were going to be gone, but we left early Tuesday morning and got to Jackson early Tuesday evening and camped right outside of the park. I have to admit, I just went along because my family wanted to go and I don't like being a party pooper at eight months pregnant, but I have to say it was so much fun and well worth all the effort and time it took to get there!!

Our first day int he park we went to Old Faithful. We had just missed it, but there is so much to do around the geyser it wasn't hard to fill the time. We went to the visitor center, got ice cream, and went for a walk. Here we are waiting for the geyser to go off.




I really wasn't sure what we were going to do with the kids while we were there, but there were many, many one mile hikes around geysers, hot pots, and springs that were more than entertaining and a one mile hike was perfect for our kids, and myself I might add!!!(I will tell you now this might be the only picture of me you see pregnant!)









One of our favorite spots was called Mud Volcano! It had a hot pot called the Dragon's Mouth. It really did sound like a Dragon was in the cave and our children watched for a good 20 min. for him to come out!





Lots of picnics! With lots of bugs, which Samantha Winnie did not appreciate!



One day we hiked to all of the waterfalls. That was a full day! Ben got very good at spotting the wildlife and you would have thought these things were glued to his hands!!









Lots of bike riding at the camp ground! Which at one point there were twelve kids around the camp making noise and riding bikes, they got the ranger called on them and all of us parents were like really? No one was screaming, no one was yelling, it was just twelve kids making noise! And Samantha became quite the botanists with this flower chart we found at the visitor's center. It kept her entertained for three days!





The animals are amazing! We saw a number of bears, elk, deer, buffalo, antelope, and one night we went to watch the wolves, but they didn't show. Nonetheless we still had a really great time. Our children couldn't decide if Yellowstone or Disneyland was better!






6 comments:

the landreths said...

You are beautiful pregnant! I love the trip report. Your kids are so cute and it looks like you guys had a great time. It is so much easier to do trips like that when you are pregnant than when you have a new baby (that's what I think anyway). :)

melissa said...

how fun, too bad we couldn't of met you there. We are going in a couple of weeks! Summer is crazy busy, how have you been feeling?
Loved all the fun pictures!

Audra M said...

Looks like lots of fun!!! You look awesome, as usual. Talk to you soon!

Amanda said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun. It gives me something to look forward to, we are headed there tomorrow for the weekend. I'm so excited.

You look great by the way. Shouldn't worry about posting pics of yourself!!

Amber said...

Glad you went before the grizzly bear attack. Looks like tons of fun. We'll have to join you sometime. And props to you for going 8 months pregnant!

Maria said...

What a fun family trip! It's a lot of work to get there with kids and with you pregnant! Kudos to you!