(Tower BridgeLondon)
Steven and I took an amazing trip to Europe last week. I was so very excited to go and even more excited to be there as we arrived. I can't explain how wonderful it was to come back to somewhere where I lived and slept and had an amazing time in my youth. We came in at 6 am and I was so excited to see my family. Daniela my host sister came and picked us up and upon entrance into my house, which by the way smelled the same, looked the same, and felt them same we were greeted with hugs and tears and laughing. It was so much fun to see them again. We go ready to go to church and took off.
I am happy to say a year in Germany and four years of college tuition have not gone to waste as understanding was not even a problem. If fact what became a problem was switching from one language to another. I don't speak it like I used to, but understand anything and everything was not a problem, with few words I needed to look up. WOW, if I could go back now for a year, although I don't know why I would want to, nor why I would, but if I could I would certainly not have a problem with the language when I returned. Many people gave me great complaints on my German, my host mother said I spoke without an accent, a lovely older woman in my ward said I was a genus I could still speak so well and the bishop asked where I was from, which were all such high complements that I was completely unworthy of. NOW, in reality, I know that this is actually more of a complement to them then to me as I do not speak it well at all, if fact I understand so well and so clearly my faults I can only say that this is a testament to how kind and loving the people with whom I spent my year there with. I loved church and thoroughly enjoyed everything and listen intently to all the lessons, I should be so excited to hear them in my own ward on Sunday in English. It was fun and I enjoyed it very much and even participated in the lesson in Relief Society. I love German and it truly is so ingrained in my head there is not need to translate into English. It is a specially language with special people and I feels so lucky to have studied it when I came home. I feel like this made me appreciate it that much more as I made this last visit.
Steven and I took the Schwaberbahn home. It's the way I would get to and from school, home from church and running around downtown. Poor Steven was a little sick from the ride, but put up with it for me.
I took a two hour nap once we got home which wasn't much since I missed an entire nights sleep, but my philosophy on the trip was, "I can sleep when I'm dead." And I for sure pushed that to its' limit. I spent time with my host sisters children and my older host sister Sabrina. I chatted with everyone in the house and had so much fun eating dinner and talking that we did not go to bed until 12.
We woke up the next morning and headed out the door at 9 to Koln. My host mother Annamarie went with us. My host father Gustav does not see very well and Annamarie doesn't get out much so I do believe she was just as excited as we were. When I told her I wanted to take the train, she said great because there was an especially nasty piece of traffic that always happened no matter what time of day. So we all took off on the bus, then the train.
Koln is a beautiful city, which a rich history of the Catholic Church and even controlled by the Roman Empire for awhile. I had so much fun being in the Cathedral and learning about the stain glass, statures, and architecture. We ate lunch at a lovely Chines restaurant. I tried to pay for this lunch but Annamarie got very upset and I quickly took it back and let her pay. She was obviously becoming upset at the situation. After this we headed out shopping. My host mother loves Kaufhof, which by the way took a little talking into that I knew exactly where Kaufhof was, which by the way I did and had to help Steven and Annamarie find there way around. I loved shopping in Koln, I knew where we were and wanted to laugh when they questioned me. Needless to say we made a bee line for her store. I didn't spend much time in the cloths section, but spent an hour and half in the house goods sections. This was fun! I was able to buy a few things that aren't over here, but I remembered over there and now that I cook for a family of six come in handy. I loved the house goods section it was quite fun!!


This is my sweet host mother Annamarie. I just loved to spend time with her. The next morning, I woke up early to go to the store with her. We would do this when I loved in Germany and she always thought it was quite funny that a teenager wanted to go with her to the store, since not much has changed she invited me the next morning. Coming down stairs Annamarie made me peppermint tea and had fresh "brotchen" for me with sweet honey these are some of my favorite things. She is so much fun to be around and has an infections laugh. Her personality is quite, but once you know her she would do anything for you.
Schloss Burg- The Castle by my home
Danniela wanted to walk to Schloss Burg, the castle close to my home in Germany. I have to admit, this didn't sound like fun to me as Wuppertal is land of rain, rain and more rain. Steven and I had a beautiful day the day before in Koln and we all told Steven many times this was a very lucky day as it always rains in Wuppertal. Nonetheless we trotted over to the Castle late Tuesday afternoon for a little tour and some afternoon tea time. I love tea time, how do we not have this in the states???

On the walk home I spotted this amazing antique store, which made the walk completely worth it. "Alte Kunst" had so many wonderful finds. I wish I could have packed up a few and brought them home with me. It was a special store because I lived Bergishie Land. A berg is not really a hill, but it is not a mountain. It's right in between and this store was a feast for the eyes with all of it's local artist and findings, I might have to make a trip back to Germany just to visit this store! ;)
Heaven help me I can not take a good picture to save my life. But this is a waffle with hot cherries, rice milk and cream. It's about the best thing you have ever tasted on a cold, rain walk home from Schloss Burg!!! I have a mentioned how much I love my family in Germany. I told Annamarie and Gustav one night that Steven had once told me they are not really my family and I told them I thought he was being offensive. It felt like home. I could take a nap when I wanted, rummage through the fridge when I needed which I actually found fascinating now that I am older and dig through draws looking for a pen. I love them and I know that seeing them again is in mine and my children's near future.










No comments:
Post a Comment