Sunday, May 16, 2010

Change is Good

I got released from my primary calling today. It was quite sad. I have been in primary since Samantha was a baby. Easily making it by far the longest calling I have ever had and defiantly the calling I grew the most in. What I will miss most about my calling is the fact that I loved being with my children on Sunday. I am sure some would find this annoying, but I just like to be where they are and learn what they were learning.
I definitely felt that extension to others' children as I served in primary. I truly found joy in the happiness of children, their eagerness to understand the gospel and the fullness of Christ love for their innocence and love toward each other. A great example of this happened today. A younger child moved into our ward and we sang her a welcome song, as the song ended and I told everyone her name another child proudly accouned that she was now her "best friend." We all laughed, but it made me cry to see just what Christ ment we he said to be as little children. I could give an endless rendition of days like today over the past five years. This is what makes me want to roll my eyes when someone says, "Why do they put me in primary?" If only they knew how lucky they were to be amoung such amazing teachers.
I too am sad because I feel like this marks the beginning of a new era and therefore the end of an old one. I am sure you are thinking what era is that? I feel like being married for nine years and at the present moment, without any babies around the house I am moving on to being a mother and not a mommy any more. I am sure you are thinking, "Ashlee, you are pregnant! You are still a young mother!" I know this is true, but this isn't like it's my first baby, but probably my last baby. I am not starting my family but putting the finishing touches on my master piece. At the same time I feel like my own childhood is ending and I am becoming a woman after 30 years of feeling like a young woman.
Of course too I have apprehensions about leaving something too that I have been apart of for almost six years and handing the torch to someone else. Even though I know I am leaving it in probably more capable hands then myself.
My own chldren cried this morning when I told them I wasn't going to be in with them anymore, but assured them I would still be at church.:) This did not help me hold back my emotions today as I ended my time in primary. I felt uprooted today, but it has brought new meaning to the term "bloom where you are planted" and I know there is a new calling for me to help me grow and love others through the gosple.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Six years in Primary?! Wow, that must be some kind of world record. Good for you for teaching those kids.

You're having a girl! That is so exciting. I hope you're feeling well.

Diana said...

That is always such a hard day. I am like you I LOVE being in primary. Even today as I sat in RS I heard the primary children singing and my heart longed to be with them. Seeing their sweet faces and hearing their voices. But my time has been served and now I'm in RS...but I've been here for 3 years now so I'm sure I will be back in Primary again soon!!! Maybe a year or so...since my new calling just came a few months ago. "Relief Society Meeting Coordinator" The new fancy term for Enrichment Leader! :-) I loved your post on Samantha. I think she and Alayna would get along great. They sound very similar! Cute girl.

Cherilyn said...

So, what is your new calling? I too got released yesterday from Primary Secretary and it was bittersweet because it means we are really moving to another country! I have enjoyed it in many ways yet I don't love the administrative part of it. I agree that people really miss out on a great opportunity when they say no to a primary calling. Filling the nursery slots can be so difficult that I just wonder if these people are really a part of the same church as I! I hope your next calling it just as wonderful! As for the new era. I get that. I too am moving on in a new era. No more babies for us and now Will is going to be in school next year. I'm a mom with teenagers/older children. I don't really fit in with the young mommies anymore. I'm really sure where I fit in! oh well. Have a wonderful day!

Audra M said...

I too love primary. And nursery for that matter and completely agree with liking being with your kids at church.

Do you have another calling yet?

I am loving being primary chorister now.

Well one thing is certain; sevice in the church never lets us get too comfotable.